Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Brace Face

Still playing catch-up here...on December 17th Gavin got braces. He is officially a geek. (Don't tell him I said so, but with the combination of glasses and braces there is no denying it.) He's going to look great when it's all done; so far he's enduring it well. He has an RPE (rapid palatal expander), which is quickly creating a sizable gap between his two front teeth. Following the Christmas break, lots of his friends asked if he had lost a tooth-the gap is that big. I had one of those in 7th grade, too, but my orthodontist hadn't put my braces on yet, so it was really weird to see myself with that gap. I tried very hard not to smile during that time. My ruthless English teacher gave me the nickname, "Gapper," which did not help me to feel better about it. Gavin has one tooth on the left side of his mouth that is blocked by other teeth and because of this his gap is not in the middle-it's off to the left side, which just adds to the geekiness factor. Here are the before, after and gapper photos:


Before


After

Gapper



3 comments:

Bryan and Michelle Pack said...

Coach Wright knew just what to say to make a 13 year old feel special (hahaha). Remember when he duct taped our mouths shut? Yeah, precious memories. ;)

Cori said...

I still think he is adorable. GEEKS ROCK!

The Christman's said...

We all have to go through the "ugly duckling" phase so we can come out looking like swans. You'll all look back at these awkward years & laugh. Thank goodness I never had to go through the brace face years. Good luck Gavin!